Swedish furniture giant IKEA has confirmed it is investigating the safety of its glass cabinet products as one ‘explodes’ covering a baby in glass causing a minor injury.

The glass cabinet, believed to be the ‘Detolf’ spontaneously shattered over a 14-week old infant, who was less than a metre away, resulting in a minor scratch to the face.

According to the Liverpool Echo, the mother of the child, who wishes to remain anonymous, reported the incident to IKEA, warning other customers to be vigilant and claimed her son was lucky not be blinded.

Donna Moore, country customer relations manager, IKEA UK & Ireland, said: “We are aware of the incident regarding the glass cabinet. The safety of our products is always the highest priority and our entire range is tested rigorously.

"Whenever we learn of a possible fault with the design, material or manufacture, we investigate immediately and thoroughly. We have already been in direct contact with the customer to apologise and are currently investigating the matter further.”

In other news, IKEA also revealed to Cabinet Maker that it is ‘aware’ of the available site in Salford as it considers its expansion strategy, but confirmed no approach in taking the premises.

An IKEA spokesperson said: “We are reviewing our expansion strategy on an ongoing basis. This includes the rebuilding and adaptation of our stores to better serve their local customers, developing our multi-channel offer, choosing new IKEA locations and trialling new store formats.

“We are aware of the available site and existing planning permission next to AJ Bell Stadium in Salford, however we have nothing further to confirm at this point in time.”