Independent bed retailer Goodnight Sleeptight has suffered a fire due to an electrical fault from a light fitting which ignited the blaze.

Three fire crews from the South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended the shop, which is based on Woodfield Way in Doncaster, after the fire broke out around 9:40am today (26 May 2016).

Firefighters worked tirelessly to prevent the fire from spreading and eventually left the scene at 11:45am after extinguishing the flames.

A spokesperson for the SYFRS said: “The Goodnight Sleeptight shop was well alight when crews from Edlington and Doncaster stations arrived. Around 200 people were evacuated from the busy shopping area with luckily no injuries to anyone.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used compressed air foam (CAF) to tackle the blaze and worked hard to prevent the fire from spreading to other shops. The cause of the fire is believed to be due to an electric light fitting.”