Brc master logo purple

UK retail sales accelerated in October to record its best month since January, as furniture sales showed consistent growth.

According to the latest BRC-KPMG Retail Sales Monitor October 2016, total sales rose 2.4% against a 0.9% increase in October 2015, delivering the strongest growth since the beginning of the year and well ahead of the 1.1% three and 12 month averages.

Like-for-like sales also increased by 1.7% compared to a reduction of 0.2% last year, whilst non-food sales rose by 0.6%. On a total basis, non-food sales grew by 0.8%.

Within the categories, Furniture proved consistency and remained second in the rankings table for October on a monthly comparison. However, this time last year Furniture sales led the market.

Moving to online, overall UK retail sales grew 11.1% in October 2016. Online sales represented 22.2% of total non-food sales in the UK, against 21.1% in October 2015. This is the tenth consecutive month that the non-food online penetration rate has remained above 20%.

Furniture sales slowed online compared to last year, down from first in the rankings to seventh, with a month-on-month comparison also indicating a deceleration from its September position of fourth.

Helen Dickinson OBE, chief executive, British Retail Consortium, said: “October’s figures paint a more positive picture of retail sales. There was a more balanced contribution from all product categories, nearly all of which saw a degree of sales growth.

“It is clear from today’s figures, that despite the inflationary pressure that’s gradually building in the supply chain, retailers are currently effectively managing the additional cost burdens and continue to entice their customers with great choice and value.”